In this post, we will discuss how to get rid of the ‘FFXIV Unable to Complete Version Check’ error. Final Fantasy XIV is a popular MMORPG game developed and published by Square Enix. Gamers worldwide love the Final Fantasy series due to its fun characters, deep lore and memorable moments that make for an adventure worth remembering.
The game has allowed players to experience one of the best stories ever seen in gaming. Recently, FFXIV has experienced a surge in popularity due to its expansive free trial and publicity from popular streamers and content creators like Asmongold, MoistCr1tikal, Shroud, Summit1g and many more. With the increase in players, many issues and glitches have come to light. One such issue is the version check error problem.
A number of FFXIV players have experienced this issue where they launch the game, the screen goes black, and the game crashes with an error message saying ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’. If you are one of the many unlucky gamers who have had to go through this and are looking for solutions to the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error, then you are at the right place. In this article, we will discuss the possible causes behind the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error along with methods to fix it.
What Causes The FFXIV Unable To Complete Version Check Error?
As pointed out by gamers in the FFXIV community, there can be multiple causes behind the error. Some common reasons behind this error include a slow network connection, an active firewall and a pending update. Several users have noted that the error seems to be caused by the Boot Configuration File of the game and the cache. Summing them all up, the typical causes behind the error seem to be:
- A slow or delayed network connection
- FFXIV game cache
- FFXIV boot configuration file
- A pending update
- An active windows firewall or antivirus.
Other similar types of errors that are caused due to the above issues include the FFXIV unable to complete version update 30419 error, the FFXIV unable to complete version update 30437 error, FFXIV file access failure during version check and more. Now that we have narrowed down the possible culprits behind the error let’s explore the solutions.
Solutions To The FFXIV Unable To Complete Version Check Error
Let’s go through the possible solutions that may help fix this issue.
1. Ensure that the server is live
Since FFXIV is an MMORPG, it experiences heavy traffic, and sometimes the servers are unable to handle this load. There are fair chances that the servers might be temporarily unavailable or facing some issues. This is one of the common causes behind the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error. We recommend that you ensure that the server is live before looking for other fixes to this error. In order to check whether the servers are live, you can:
- Check online forums to stay updated with the server’s condition.
- Join an FFXIV Discord server and check with the community.
- Explore websites like Down Detector to know if the server is down.
2. Check Your Network Connection
Once you have ensured that the server is live, the second thing you can do to fix the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error is to check if your network connection is working properly. MMORPGs like FFXIV require gamers to have a fast internet connection. If your network cannot communicate with the FFXIV server, you may encounter the error.
We recommend checking the strength of your internet connection before moving forward. There are various websites where you can check your internet connection’s upload and download speed. You can also try to disconnect your device from the network, restart your router and reconnect your device to the network to ensure everything is working properly.
3. Check Game Cache(Steam)
If the server is live and you have a strong internet connection, the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error might be caused due to issues with the FFXIV game cache. Many users have noted that verifying the integrity of their game cache has helped fix the issue. We recommend you follow these steps:
- Launch Steam and locate Final Fantasy XIV in the game library.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab from Properties.
- In the Local Files tab, click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache option.
Once you have completed all the above steps, try launching the game and see if the issue has been resolved.
4. Edit the FFXIV Boot Configuration File
If you have tried all the above methods and none of them has solved the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error, then you may need to edit the FFXIV Boot Configuration File. To tweak the ffxiv_boot.cfg file of the game, follow these steps:
- Click on My Computer from the Start Menu or launch it from the desktop application.
- Navigate to C: > User > Documents > My Games > FINAL FANTASY XIV – A Realm Reborn.
- In the game folder, locate the FFXIV_BOOT file.
- Right-click on the config file and select ‘Open with Notepad’.
- In the ffix_boot.cfg file, locate BootVersionCheckMode.
- Change the value of BootVersionCheckMode from 0 to 1.
- Repeat the same for B4EulaAgreement and change its value from 0 to 1.
- Save the changes and close the file.
After performing all the above steps, try launching the game again and check if the issue has been resolved.
5. Disable The Firewall
An active firewall is one of the common causes behind the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error. Users have noted that disabling their firewall has helped fix this error. Follow these steps in order to disable your firewall:
- Press the Windows & R keys simultaneously to launch the Run window.
- Search for ‘Control Panel’ in the Run window.
- Alternatively, you can launch Control Panel from the Start Menu.
- In the Control Panel, navigate to System and Security settings.
- You will find the Windows Firewall option on the top right.
- Once you are in the Windows Firewall window, left-click on the Turn Windows Firewall on or off link.
- This will open up a Customize settings window.
- In the Customize settings window, choose the option to Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) for both Private and Public network settings.
Save the changes and restart your PC for the changes to take effect. Once you have restarted your PC, try launching FFXIV to check if the error has been resolved.
6. Use a VPN
Another effective way to overcome the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error is to use a VPN. Many free and premium VPNs are available in the market, such as NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc. Choose the one that fits your needs. Alternatively, you can try to configure the VPN on your PC manually. However, this requires technical knowledge and is more time-consuming.
This concludes our article on the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error, in which we discussed the common causes and fixes to the error. We hope you find this article helpful and were able to resolve the error. If you have any doubts or queries regarding the same, please share them with us in the comments below.
Do you know of any other reasons behind the ‘FFXIV unable to complete version check’ error? Have you come across any other solutions to this error? Which is your favourite game from the Final Fantasy series? Let us know in the comments below.